Monday, January 20, 2014

The "Lost" Effect?



I loved Lost.  Loved every episode... everything about it.  I even watched the final episode(s) and loved them.  I had tears in my eyes as the camera pulled back from Jack's eye in the forest.  And then I started to think about the series.  I thought about everything I loved and all the connections I took for granted would be explained by the end of the series because it was a brilliant show.  I thought about all the questions that made me excited to keep watching in the hope of getting some answers.  And then it began to sink in... those questions were not answered.  They will never be answered.  Why was there a polar bear roaming around a magical island?  Don't know.  What happened before Jacob's mom was the ruler of the island?  Don't know.   What were the numbers that they actually USED TO PROMOTE THE SHOW??  Umm... Don't know.   Man, the list could go on and on.  I honestly assumed that with that show the writers/creators HAD to know exactly what the island was from the very beginning.  (I know, I know... naive girl).

I am thankful for the moments of enjoyment I had during the show and the thoughts and conversations it stimulated, but I have not been able to re-watch the series since I have seen the finale.  I'm curious if others like me have been able to re-watch?  Or does seeing the questions that will ultimately remain unanswered ruin it for all but the most casual viewer?

The other legacy of Lost is I am now reluctant to "commit" myself to other serial shows.  If they are on the air less than one season, I do not watch them because I know it's pointless.  They will build up to an interesting cliffhanger that is never answered and I will want to scream and throw a pillow at the tv.  (See Persons Unknown).  There have been shows I really enjoyed that seemed smart and interesting that were cancelled in their first season while reality crap lives on and on like Dollhouse (cancelled after 2nd season but still...), Firefly, Persons Unknown, Flash Forward, Moonlight, Pushing Daisies, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip and more.  (Am I showing my bias?)  If shows make it through one season, I am still hesitant to commit.  I will watch lots of Netflix shows that have already aired their run in the entirety but almost all finales to non-procedural dramas make me very nervous.  The only show so far that has aired cliffhangers and left me totally satisfied with their resolution is Sherlock... but I will post my love for that show another day.  I am still afraid to "fall in love" with a tv show because of Lost.  I thought it was one of the smartest shows on tv at the time, but how smart does a show have to be if they never intend to answer the many mysteries they provide?  Has anyone else had this problem since Lost?  Are you afraid to commit to drama series?

No comments:

Post a Comment